The José Guerrero Centre is a contemporary art museum forming part of the Diputación de Granada, and was inaugurated in the year 2000. It came into being with the aim of incorporating a new patrimonial value to the city and province of Granada. It main aims are to conserve the Centre Collection, exhibit it, disseminate it and research into Guerrero’s work, together with the promotion of contemporary art and culture.
The José Guerrero Centre occupies a building rehabilitated and adapted to all the demands of current museum practice by the architect Antonio Jiménez Torrecillas, under the supervision of Gustavo Torner. The original building was constructed in 1892 by Indalecio Ventura Sabatell according to plans drawn up by the architect Modesto Cendoya. The rehabilitation of the building, given an award by the Granada College of Architects in 2003, centres round the idea of the museum visit as leitmotiv, while also taking advantage of the architectural theme traced by the original building – the exterior opens onto the street, while the interior closes in upon itself, creating a space favourable for aesthetic contemplation.